Utah

Utah
a happy place

Monday, November 10, 2014

Santee Lakes 11/1

I was actually debating if I should write this post or not, but since this is my first trip of this year's trout season, I might as well.  


     
 I had been itching to get on with trout season, and now it is here! Santee lakes stocks first, so that would be were I would head out to. It had rained the night before the opener and it was still drizzling when we left at 5:30 am.                                                              
   When we got their there was a line of about 20 cars, which isn't that bad considering that 739 anglers participated in the event. When we arrived it was still dark, and the fishing didn't pick up until well after sunrise. Over all, the fishing was pretty slow, I mostly fished lake 4, and the only spots that anyone was catching anything was the area around the inlet, (north eastern side) and the area around the outlet (south eastern side). I fished at Lake 3 for a little bit, and it was quite obvious that there were only fish being caught at the inlet (and maybe the outlet). I didn't fish at lake 2, but from what I heard, and what I assume, I think the inlet outlet pattern continued there as well. 
   As for me, I stayed at lake 4 and went back and forth from the inlet and the outlet, and up until about 11:00, the only thing I had caught was a colorful bluegill. 
Then, right before I was about to leave the inlet for good, a 2 pound trout hit my minijig, about 2 seconds after it hit the swirling current. I was able to bring it close to shore, but it spit my jig out right at the net. That was about the only trout action I received the entire time, but it was still a nice warm up trip for the season. 

(These are some fish that some other people gave us because they did not want to eat them)

The plan for my next trip is to go to good old Lake Dixon and see if I can catch some good old tailwalkers. This season, dixon and numerous other lakes are also going to have bigger than usual stockings because of lowered gas prices, and Lake Jennings will stock both Sierra Bows and Nebraska Tailwalkers for the first time ever. That along with a trip to the Sierras with my boy scout troop, and another trip to the glorious Provo in Utah, will make this a year to remember for me. 
Conclusion: If there is any part of a lake were water is either entering or exiting, There will almost always be trout there. 






-Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, (and the fishes of the sea) I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly; (D&C section 89:12)


-keep sore liping 'em readers 



(BTW, if you know anything about fishing, and you haven't seen Hank Patterson on You Tube, do so. He is HILARIOUS)       

No comments:

Post a Comment